Skip to content

Why Mold Is Dangerous – Environment And Health Issues

Knowing why mold is dangerous will help you keep your house clean and protect the health of your whole family. Let's jump in and discover some common reasons.

IAQ Boost is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Mold is always a nuisance for every family. It contaminates the indoor environment, causes bad odors, and affects human health. Let’s figure out some certain reasons to know why mold is dangerous and how it impairs our lives.

What Does Mold Look Like? 

It’s not always simple to detect mold. This fungal species regularly appears as thin strands of silk, stain, blemish, or discoloration. Black, white, gray, and green are the most frequent colors of mold. 

You can also spot it in a variety of colors, including orange, yellow, brown, and even pale pink, if left untreated for a long period. Its appearance can alter due to its life span, and those with bright hues are frequently more harmful.

why mold is dangerous

Why Mold Is Dangerous?

Damage Your Health

Asthma

Breathing in airborne mold particles increases the risk of asthma. If a person is susceptible to mold, the immune system will produce chemicals that lead to asthma in a short period of time.

Coughing, wheezing, and difficulty of breathing are popular symptoms of asthma. The bad smell from a long-day mold will cause nausea and sore throat when inhaled.

Allergic Reactions

Allergies are one of the most recognized effects of people exposed to mold. When mold is attached to the body, irritation of the eyes, nose, and skin inflammation are obvious external signs. These areas of skin will become red, swollen, itchy, and uncomfortable.

Allergic sinusitis caused by mold is also common when the sinus area becomes blocked due to inhaling too many mold particles in the air. It will make the nose and throat area infected, causing sneezing and a sore nose.

Mold exposure causes skin rash
Mold exposure causes skin rash

Infectious Diseases 

Infectious diseases from molds usually occur in people with weakened immune systems. These people often use antibiotics and get tired easily.

Those with infectious diseases caused by fungi, especially black mold, may experience rash, fatigue, and headaches. In addition, there may be more serious signs such as bleeding in the lungs and nose.

Weak Immune System 

When mold enters your body through inhalation, your body goes into protective mode. The immune system will work to fight off the bad effects of the mold. At this stage, you may feel tired and have a fever.

If your immune system is strong enough to combat the mold, you’ll get well soon. However, in case your condition gets worse, it means you can’t ward off the fungal virus in your body. 

It leads to a weakened immune system, making you more vulnerable to fungal diseases. Besides, it will also take you a long time to recover from illness.

Lung Damage

Exposure to molds can cause acute pneumonia and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA). The obvious symptoms of these diseases are a persistent dry cough and difficulty breathing. Things get worse when the patient coughs up blood and has a high fever.

One fungus that causes lung lesions is the mold in the Aspergillus genus. It grows in contaminated medical equipment and can come from nature. Mucormycetes and Phaeohyphomycetes are fungi that commonly cause immunosuppression and lung infections.

Muscle And Joint Pain

Mycotoxins produced by certain types of molds can cause joint pain. It is linked to rheumatoid arthritis, sclerosis, and even chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS).

Mycotoxin usually grows and develops rapidly in the fall. Their reproductive rate is very fast and triggers many symptoms related to joint pain. It can lead to intractable diseases such as rheumatism and muscle pain, creating persistent pain.

Mold exposure causes joint pain
Mold exposure causes joint pain

Memory Loss

Mold also brings about shortness of breath and a rash that comes with an inability to concentrate or remember things. If you’ve recently discovered that you can’t remember even the simplest things, you’re dealing with ‘brain fog’.

It results from inhaling mold particles in the air or low air quality. The phenomenon of ‘brain fog’ entails cognitive disturbances, fatigue, and headaches when focusing on remembering or thinking about something.

Damage The House

Destroy Household Materials

In addition to affecting health, mold also destroys household appliances. Mold in house symptoms are musty floors, ceilings, and walls, peeling paint and leaving behind a grayish-black mold.

This nasty species also ruins cabinets, carpets, clothes, and other household items. They often appear in damp and poorly cleaned places such as dishwasher pipes and bathrooms.

Contaminate The House

Mold creates odors, affecting the air of the whole house. In wet conditions, they will grow very quickly, spreading to other house areas and contaminating many spaces. For example, the polluted faucet area will affect the family’s domestic water source.

Food in the refrigerator covered with mold will affect other dishes and cause stomach upset if eaten. Mold also thrives in kitchens, where grease often sticks to the walls. With improper cleaning, it will cause pollution in the kitchen.

Contaminate The House

Symptoms Of Mold Sickness 

One of the common mold symptoms is an allergic reaction. Sneezing, rash, coughing, and wheezing are also popular signs. Sinusitis and runny nose caused by inhaling airborne fungi are frequently detected in people sensitive to molds.

Besides those signs, there are rarer but more dangerous ones. For instance, poor memory, weakened immune system, muscle aches, pneumonia, and asthma are among severe symptoms of mold exposure in adults.

How To Get Rid Of Mold In House?

Lowering In-house Moisture

Because mold thrives in humid environments, it’s a good idea to keep the humidity in your home low. Areas like bathrooms, toilets, or kitchens often nurture mold, so you need to install ventilation fans in these zones.

A dehumidifier is essential for your home, helping to regulate when the indoor humidity is too high. Attic fans also manage humidity and ventilate your home for you. 

In the hot summer with high humidity, the air conditioner will aid you in drying and circulating fresh air in the house, removing mold particles in the air.

One of the next useful ways is to open the windows in the house for more fresh air. Besides, opening the window helps push odors out and dry wet areas, keeping your home hygienic.

Regularly Clean Your House

Regular cleaning of your home is the best way to completely get rid of indoor mold. Instead of letting mold spread to many areas of your home, cleaning your house twice a week will save you a lot of time and effort.

You should pay attention to avoiding using artificial cleaners with strong odors. When combined with mold and other household contaminants, volatile compounds create new pollutants. 

You can use Green Cleaning Products or water-based products instead. They will be safer to use and help you thoroughly deal with mold in your family.

For mold stains that are difficult to clean, you can use hydrogen peroxide or a vinegar solution to remove the stain. It would be best to dilute the above solutions with water, pour them into a spray bottle and spray on contaminated surfaces. After scrubbing, you can wipe it with water and let it dry.

Cleaning moldy areas
Cleaning moldy areas

Conclusion

I believe that through this article, you’ve known why mold is dangerous and how to get rid of mold from your house. Mold not only causes health effects but also pollutes the environment in your home.

Regular cleaning and keeping the humidity in your home low are the most effective ways to prevent mold from appearing. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. See you in the next one!

Related

Featured on

Yahoo News
Parade
Bustle
Insider
Cnn
BuzzFeed