Many sources create Carbon Monoxide concentrations in the air around you. It’s a poisonous gas, and when it reaches a certain level, you will be poisoned with negative health effects.
So, what are normal Carbon Monoxide levels in a house? How can you measure and reduce this concentration? We’re here to reveal the answer. Scrolling down to know more!
What Are Normal Carbon Monoxide Levels In A House?
How Does Carbon Monoxide Affect You?
Machinery that burns fuel, exhaust gasses, and gasses released when the heater fails will produce CO. This gas is produced from the incomplete combustion of products containing carbon or natural gasses.
This gas is not too harmful at low concentrations or in a well-ventilated area. But when in glass space or places with high density, like during a fire, it can put you in danger.
When it is inhaled, CO takes the place of O2 in red blood cells. Lack of oxygen leads to shortness of breath, chest tightness due to asphyxiation.
Typically, some poisonous symptoms and risks if the concentration exceeds the safe threshold:
- Shortness of breath or rapid breathing
- Headache, convulsions, fainting, and coma
- Low blood pressure, rapid or abnormal heartbeat, muscle weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cause serious brain damage with older adults
There are more consequences that we can’t mention all of them. Obviously, it makes a huge and negative impact on your health, so the prerequisite is to protect yourself from this.
How To Measure Carbon Monoxide Levels In A House?
The only way to measure CO levels is to use a detector at home. What does a carbon monoxide detector look like? Its size is as small as a fire alarm that you normally mount on the ceiling. Once installed, turn it on and check the volume of the alarm, and that’s all.
But, many people are concerned about “What can I do if I don’t have a Carbon Monoxide detector?” Purchase it, and you won’t regret your investment!
Normal CO Levels In A House
The concentrations can range from 0.5 to 5 parts per million (ppm) without a stove or other gas in a quarter of a home. When you open or adjust the stove, nearby concentrations can range from 5 to 15 ppm.
Safe indoor concentration is a maximum of 9ppm for no more than eight consecutive hours. If it hits 200 ppm or more, you can have some symptoms and lead to fatal hours. 800 ppm or more can lead to instant death within minutes.
Steps To Reduce Exposure To Carbon Monoxide
You can pocket some of the following notes or tips to reduce CO concentration in the air as well as ensure the safety of your family:
- Install CO detector to check the levels daily and detect anomalies in time
- Adjust gas appliances properly and make sure they’re working well without any problems
- Open the funnels when you use your fireplace
- Install exhaust fans to increase ventilation
- Open windows and avoid using gas appliances in closed rooms
What You Should Know About CO Detector
Do I Need A Carbon Monoxide Detector?
Do you know: What does a carbon monoxide detector do? It is, of course, used to measure the CO level in your home. And its role is extremely important because you can lose your life just beyond the safe one.
It’s really necessary because you have no other way to measure more accurately other than using this tool. So don’t hesitate to install carbon monoxide detectors.
Where Should CO Detectors Be Placed In A Home?
It is common to place a CO detector about 5 feet from the floor or right on the ceiling. Because this gas is usually lighter than air, it can be detected in the humid air.
Keep the detector away from flammable equipment, away from dogs and cats, and the reach of children. Make sure it sounds loud enough to know when the concentration becomes abnormal.
Can you put a carbon monoxide detector bathroom? You will never want to place it in such a humid area.
When To Replace The Carbon Monoxide Detector?
A Carbon Monoxide detector lifespan will typically be ten years for products manufactured after 2013 and seven years for products manufactured before. But sometimes, you have to replace it sooner, based on its actual performance.
What are normal Carbon Monoxide levels in a house? The maximum one is 9 ppm, and it lasts for no more than eight hours. If the concentration reaches this level, you can call 911 or gas service to ask for help.
Last but not least, you should purchase a CO detector. It isn’t a waste of money; it’s an investment to protect your family.