Skip to content

What Are Long Term Effects Of Mold Exposure? – A Full Answer

What are the long term effects of mold exposure? Do they harm our health? Check out this post for more valuable information and solutions for this issue.

IAQ Boost is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

House humidity is dramatically high during the rainy season, causing mold growth. Exposure to them can negatively affect our health, such as asthma, allergic reaction, other respiratory issues, and skin irritations.

So, what is the long term effects of mold exposure? How to prevent it? If you wonder about these issues, keep reading for a full answer and valuable related information.

long term effects of mold exposure

What Is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungi that grows in a hyphae structure. Those hyphae create mold spores to spread into surrounding environments.

These fungi require moisture to grow. Therefore, you can find a layer of mold or spores on dampness corners, damaged water spots, or afterward in places covered with the flood.

There are many common types of molds, but the most remarkable triad is aspergillus, Cladosporium, and black molds (Stachybotrys atra). 

Black molds are a typical toxic type that contains higher levels of toxigenic than others. It is a significant reason for many health issues, damaging our immune system.

What Are Long Term Effects Of Mold Exposure?

Breathing in mold spores in a moist environment may affect personal health, open-wound infections, immune system damage, respiratory allergies, and skin irritation through exposure.

Especially, people sensitive to allergens or irritants will suffer more severe symptoms of mold sickness than usual. Here are some symptoms of mold exposure in adults you should pay attention to have timely treatment:

  • Headaches
  • Tiredness
  • Continual fatigue 
  • Fever 
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest tightness 
  • Eyes irritation
  • Stuffy nose

The long-term effects of black mold exposure could even turn into more serious health issues, like neurological symptoms of mold exposure such as sleeplessness, memorizing, concentrating, and calming. 

It also affects the basis of a person, like hair loss, dry eye, muscle fatigue, changing weight, etc.

Of note, these symptoms could be more severe when exposure molds with intense levels, even fatal or everlasting bad upper toxic syndrome in extremely long duration.

How long does it take to get sick from mold exposure? The symptoms will appear 2-9 hours after your first exposure. They can last about 1 to 3 days.

So, when to see a doctor for mold exposure? If you suffer those symptoms above for a long time, such as nasal congestion, persistent sinus, frequent headaches, etc., you should go to the hospital to get the proper treatment. 

when to see a doctor for mold exposure

Who Is At Risk Of Mold Exposure?

Normally, anyone living in a damp area or frequently flooding places may be at risk of getting mold exposure. You can get poisoned from the toxic molds with even slight touch or inhale mold spores.

In particular, aged people, children, people with respiratory issues like respiratory allergies, asthma, and immunocompromised are likely to have a higher chance of getting toxic mold exposure.

Also, people working in toxic or hazardous environments are the best target of floating toxic molds in the surrounding atmosphere.

How Do You Know If You Get Mold Exposure? 

Here are some pre-symptoms that are visible after contacting mold: 

  • Stuffy nose or runny nose 
  • Tingy eye 
  • Skin irritating

If you see any allergic or irritating signs with your health, it’s time for you to take a health check. To make sure, you might wonder how to test for mold exposure. You can try a kit test or sampling test in a lab or medical center, clinics, such as urine or blood testing.

Taking sampling can prove your worry. This way, the doctor can give you a plan for treatment and some advice to deal with mold in your house.

How To Prevent Mold Exposure?

Molds usually come in colony-shaped or huge spots and are easily on sight. They can appear in any type and many areas such as wet walls, flooding corners, water-damaged spots, air conditioners, etc.

The most effective way to prevent molds is to remove them whenever you detect their growth. 

You can use soap with dishwashing or housing cleaner liquid, bleach with reasonable quantity. Gloves and masks are highly recommended when getting rid of those harmful toxic fungi.

Housing cleaner service is also a remarkable solution for removing molds. This way, you can eliminate them in your house in the shortest amount of time possible with great performance.

How To Prevent Mold Exposure

How To Minimize Long-Term Effects Of Mold Exposure?

It is fairly challenging to mitigate them in a short amount of time. Fortunately, you still get a bunch of handy and helpful tips to minimize its long-term effects: 

  • Clean house regularly, especially damp areas, to reduce the amount of mold spore and its mycotoxins. 
  • Check and maintain equipment and water pipes in the house regularly to avoid leaks causing indoor humidity.
  • Working out is also effective in fighting those fungi. Exercises strengthen your immune system and health, avoiding serious and fatal syndrome or heavy allergic to molds.
  • Seeking medical advice is another way to minimize long-term effects. Pharmaceutical experts know how to ease your symptoms and treatment, then provide you with a proper plan to control and eliminate those symptoms. 

Conclusion

After this article, you are now fully aware of the long term effects of mold exposure. So, protect your house from those disturbing hazardous factors by keeping it clean and dry. In addition, if you suffer from the symptoms of mold sickness, you might meet a doctor to have proper treatment to recover your health as soon as possible.

Related

Featured on

Yahoo News
Parade
Bustle
Insider
Cnn
BuzzFeed