Skip to content

How Much Mold Exposure Is Harmful? Prevention Tips

Exposure to mold can cause many health problems. How much mold exposure is harmful, and what are the symptoms? Let's discover and figure out some solutions.

IAQ Boost is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Mold can appear in every nook and cranny of your home. The frequency of mold exposure varies from person to person. Therefore, the effects caused by mold for each person are also different. Some people have little contact, but symptoms are more severe than those with long exposure, and vice versa.

So how much mold exposure is harmful? Let’s dig in and figure it out.

how much mold exposure is harmful

How Much Mold Exposure Is Harmful?

Common symptoms of people with short-term mold exposure are skin and eye irritation, wheezing, and coughing. They frequently occur in persons who aren’t allergic to mold. 

Adults

Depending on each person’s resistance, the degree of influence of mold on them is also different. Many adults can live in the middle of a moldy environment for weeks or even months without major health effects.

However, after a few weeks of mold exposure, many adults experience shortness of breath, poor memory, brain dysfunction, and problems with color distinguishing.

The mycotoxins produced by molds can cause severe allergies in adults. The rash appears more and more with dry cough and difficulty breathing, which will make their health decline in a short time.

Mold can create chemicals that irritate the intestines, resulting in diarrhea. Intestinal mold symptoms include nausea, vomiting, fever, and fatigue.

Children

Healthy children who breathe in airborne mold particles for several weeks also witness serious respiratory problems. Asthma is the most common disease in children when exposed to mold.

Mold exposure also results in neurological problems in children. The trichothecene mycotoxins produced by black mold can disrupt cognitive abilities in our kids. It also makes children irritable because the mycotoxin trichothecene has killed a few nerve cells in the brain. 

A study on the effects of mold on children from birth to 6 years old showed that kids living in clean, sanitary conditions had an IQ three times higher than those living in moldy areas.

Neurological symptoms of mold exposure such as slow reflexes, disorientation, headaches, and dizziness can occur when children live in environments where mold grows for a long time.

People With Asthma Or Allergy

Can mold kill you? Exposure to toxic molds is not life-threatening. However, if you have a history of mold allergies or asthma, you are at a higher risk of developing major health problems due to mold contact.

Long-term effects of mold exposure manifest coughing, sore throat, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. People with congenital asthma are sometimes extremely sensitive to scents. If the mold in the house gives out a bad odor, their asthma is likely to worsen.

How To Prevent Mold In Your House?

Control In-house Moisture 

Mold thrives in humid areas, so keeping the humidity in your home low is a smart idea. This fungal species is common in bathrooms, toilets, and kitchens, so air fans should be installed in these places.

An air purifier is a must-have for any house. When the interior moisture exceeds, this gadget helps to lower and control the inside humidity. Attic fans and air conditioners also give you a hand to dry and circulate fresh air in the room during the hot summer months, eradicating airborne mold particles.

Opening windows is also an effective way to get rid of odors caused by mold. It aerates the house and pushes mold particles out.

Regularly Tidy Up Your House

Mold in lungs how to get it out?, many might think. The first thing to do is start with your house.

Regularly cleaning your home is the most well-thought-out strategy to eliminate interior mold. Instead of allowing mold to develop throughout your home and become tough to remove, cleaning your home twice a week will save your time and effort.

You should avoid using synthetic cleansers with strong scents because aromatic chemicals mixed with mold and other home toxins can form new pollutants.

Instead, you can use water-based or sustainable cleaning products. They will be safer for your health and assist you effectively in dealing with mold in your home.

Stubborn mold spots can be removed by using hydrogen peroxide or a vinegar treatment. It would be best if they’re diluted with water, poured into a spray bottle, sprayed on infected surfaces, and set aside to dry.

Clean mold in house
Clean mold in house

When To See A Doctor?

A rash is a sign that prompts you to see a dermatologist or primary care doctor. The symptom can spread all over your body, causing persistent pain and fever. You should visit your doctor early and get allergy testing to know the cause and treatment as soon as possible.

Symptoms of mold sickness often resemble symptoms of seasonal allergies. However, if you have frequent headaches, coughs, or nosebleeds, it is more likely that you have been exposed to mold for a long time.

Mold can bring many side effects for your body such as long-term skin irritation and more frequent asthma attacks. Therefore, you should visit the hospital or see a dermatologist to be sure.

Conclusion

I believe that now you know how much mold exposure is harmful. It depends on each person’s resistance and living environment. People who have had allergies or asthma in the past are more sensitive to this species and more vulnerable to its effects.

To minimize mold formation in your house, you should regularly maintain the living area clean and keep humidity low.

Related

Featured on

Yahoo News
Parade
Bustle
Insider
Cnn
BuzzFeed